Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Blues of ‘Pinks’ !!

Tears roll down my eyes, even as she tells me to hold on tight. She patiently positions my hands in place and tells me to firm my grip as she does her job.

I tell the lady its my first time. I plead, to myself, to her, to anybody who would listen, I don’t want to do it. She pushes me down on that chair. They are going to need chains/belts to hold me down there, like in an electrocuting chair. She laughs at my plight, at my innocence, my immaturity.

I can feel the thread sawing at my skin. Out comes one hair at a time, plucked from its follicle as she moves that white thread to and fro. I clutch my sandals hard with my toes to prevent myself from kicking out. I try to immitate a body stuck with rigor mortis, not wanting to look like a person undergoing torture. The girls waiting for their turn in the queue think i am being a sissy and making a fuss out of nothing at all.

Why did I ever sign up for this? My brow is red and swollen. I come out from the execution room and walk back quickly, retracing my steps to the desk. I make it a point to look at the ground instead of looking ahead, pulling down the hood of my jacket and hoping not to bump into anybody i know. I decide i wont respond even if somebody calls out to me. I will pretend to have not heard. I dont want people looking at my face just yet, trying to figure out whats gone wrong there.

I swear I am not moving out of my cubicle for a couple of days, till it grows back. No going around, greeting people early in the morning. I may chance a trip out of my cube sometime close to noon when people are glued to their screens and wouldnt look up from it to acknowledge your presence.

I had once sworn that I would never get my eyebrows plucked until and unless a special occasion calls for it. I dont know how this qualifies as a special occasion, but I was coaxed into it…. So much for a Fashion Show. Sigh!

P.S: A round of applause to all those ladies out there who get it done once in a fortnight without batting an eyelid. They say its cake-walk.

P.P.S: 'Pinks and Blues' is the name of the beauty salon in my office!

7 comments:

  1. oh dear GOD !!!

    I was entering a state of shock after reading the first few lines (dont ask why)

    But like you said .. it was a cakewalk in the end :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loll.... not for me... but definitely for the other girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's coz you dont want to learn Shivani

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol....
    i can understand ur plight but cant feel it partner... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. U should have pain-killer tablets before going to 'Pinks & Blues'. :)

    Did salon-person charge extra for using chains & belts ? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pain killers for plucking? Too much!!

    They didnt have to use the chains and belts. The fear of them maiming the shape of my eyebrows, because of me churning in the chair, was enough to make me stay put :)

    ReplyDelete