Sunday, September 19, 2010

Roomie woes...

Roomie woes…
Would guys rather have girls as roomies than guys?
I was having this chat with my guy friend who seems to be having a rough time with his roomie. His roomie as I deduce is in the courtship period of his relationship, which explains why the guy stays up late at night, giggling away to glory (happy and gay! Ahem!) Infact my friend is so bugged that he is seriously considering shifting his lodgings. I was counseling him, trying to give him suggestions as to how to manage with the situation, and that is where we got into discussing this:

K :Wonder why the people here are not open to guys and girls sharing apartments? What is wrong with that?
S :Ummm..because it is not very likely to stay as only an apartment sharing thing...it would eventually become a live-in relationship.
I went ahead to give him reasons as to why a girl as a room-mate wouldn’t be such a good idea. How much more would he have to put up with, if he had a girl-roomie…

- A few mood swings of hers, and you will find yourself playing agony aunt.
- You would get nagged for leaving your things lying around the house.
- You would find yourself at gun-point if you don’t leave the bathroom spotless
- She would scream if you would leave a wet towel or soiled clothes on the bed.
- The dressing table can have only her things. And you cant touch any of them without permission. Not even her comb.
- You cannot leave smelly socks in the shoes. (reminds me of a friend who used to store his used socks of the week in the iron safe provided by Infy, at mys.)
- Most importantly, you will lose the freedom of walking around in your underwear :P

He said he would gladly agree to all of the above. This surprised me, because I don’t think its all that easy to stay with a girl. What I am trying to say here is that, that every girl has a different disciplinary book and she follows it very religiously. And sometimes two girls cannot get along together just because they follow the same rules. And that is why a girl, if given a choice, would probably prefer to stay alone, rather than sharing a room.
Some girls are like me, paranoid about having a clean bathroom. Back in Mysore, I would always be the first one to get ready, even if that meant having to wake up at 5 in the morning, when it was my roomie who had the test, not me. But I could never get myself to use the bath after she had. I would have nightmares about it and wake up before she did.
Some can just not see anything out of place. They have this OCD of arranging and re-arranging things in their right places.
And with the kind of messy packages that guys make, I don’t think a girl would want to share a room with them. When our postings were due, my cousin used to keep telling me to try and get posted in Bangalore, so that we could stay together and I could cook for him. I used to dread that. I remember praying hard, not to be put up there. No, I don’t dread the cooking. What I dreaded was the number of hours that I would spend cleaning. Phew!
Anyways, I went ahead and took a poll after this discussion and
guys said:

Reasons why a guy would like to have a girl as a flat-mate (excluding the sexual possibilities, that is)?

- A clean house
- Food cooked at home
- The discipline that comes as a package with them (even though sometimes it is as strict as Hitler!)
- The emotional support that they can give when you are feeling low.

Though another friend’s probability calculation says

- 75% chances are that the relationship would not stop at just friends. Quite likely to get married!
- 80-85% chances that you would have atleast had a casual fling, which is more likely to arise when a girl goes into her emotionally unstable state.


And then I asked the girls:

- Girls make great buddies when it comes to hearing out your woes.
- They care for you and nurse you back to health when you are not well.
- They make good counselors for your relationships (gfs/bfs/parents/siblings… whichever)
- They will actually help you out with the chores around the house. And sometimes even do your bit.


Nobody seems to want guys as roomies, not girls, not guys…. Ladke sudhar jao :P

7 comments:

  1. RFOL... :-)


    My small observation : if two friends (gals) share a room for more than a year. then they wont remain friends. :-P
    Even though they were best friends before sharing a room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could be so sure about the underwear freedom? :-D Nice write up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nilesh - quite likely..

    @Jigu - because it will be embarassing for both parties.

    thank u :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved reading his post..good one.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. in collge - our hostel had 6 bedded room or boys nd even 4 bedded. in girls hostel- max 3.

    so u can understand why.

    but,there r few cases where girls have been awesome roomies.nd even u know that person.

    ReplyDelete